I’m one of those guys that actually don’t like to shop or go to the car dealership and haggle. Can’t I just go to some solar broker who will find me the best price?
My good man, Rob:
Kick back, relax, and see what I’ve found for you. It’s a no-haggle, no shopping, no-price comparison solar organization that negotiates volume discounts for you–and your neighbors.
It’s called 1BOG. “1BOG stands for “1 Block Off the Grid.” The upside is pretty good all around:
- 1BOG negotiates group discounts for solar.
- There’s no cost to you for their services.
- All you have to do is live in one of their many cities and sign up before the solar company closes its offer.
- For example. A typical solar system right now, no matter where you live, is about $8-$10 per watt (before incentives). 1BOG just negotiated a price for people in the San Fran area for as little as $7.25/watt. That may seem like 75 cents. But if you need a 4000 watt (4KW) system, 1BOG just saved you $3000 before rebates and incentives. With that extra 3000 bucks, you could go on vacation or stock up on a whole lot of beer. Whatever.
- 1BOG also negotiates for some other freebies on your behalf that you might have to pay extra for, such as maintenance and monitoring. (However, there’s really very little maintenance or monitoring needed for solar. But what the heck. It’s free.) See this youtube video. Couldn’t hurt:
In the L.A. area, I also know of a similar program from the city of Santa Monica, California. For Santa Monica residents or businesses only, the city will evaluate your home or business for solar and solicit 3 bids from registered installers and help you compare.
Have any questions Rob, please feel free to comment below or write to [email protected]
Last modified: January 30, 2014